We pray that our personal relationship with Jesus Christ be nourished by the Word of God and a life of prayer.
That’s Pope Francis’s intention. Perhaps we could recall when Jesus gave some clear advice on how to pray. We see him doing just what he advises when we read the Gospels.
- And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward. But thou when thou shalt pray, enter into thy chamber, and having shut the door, pray to thy Father in secret: and thy Father who seeth in secret will repay thee. And when you are praying, speak not much, as the heathens. For they think that in their much speaking they may be heard. Be not you therefore like to them, for your Father knoweth what is needful for you, before you ask him. Thus therefore shall you pray:
- Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
- Thy kingdom come.
- Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
- Give us this day our daily bread.
- And forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors.
- And lead us not into temptation.
- But deliver us from evil. Amen.
Image from Saint David’s Cathedral.