With Will and Mrs T being out of town, we’ve lost touch with the recipes! Here is No 27.
Mary Cooke – Blean Church
This is a bit luxurious and is really nice served hot or cold: a delicious mingling of rich flavours without introducing any meat. Serve it with a fresh tomato and watercress salad for a simple yet substantial main meal dish.
4oz butter or margarine (100g) 1lb onions, skinned and chopped (450g) 1lb courgettes, wiped and sliced (450g) 6oz mushrooms wiped and sliced (175g) 6oz wholemeal breadcrumbs (175g) 12oz cream cheese (350g) 2oz nibbed almonds (50g) 2oz walnut pieces, chopped (50g) 2oz desiccated coconut (50g) 2 level tablespoons tomato paste few drops of Tabasco sauce half level teaspoon each of dried rosemary, sage and marjoram salt and freshly milled pepper
1. Melt butter in a large frying pan. Sauté the onions and courgettes together until onion is transparent.
2. Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes.
3. In a large basin, combine the vegetable mixture with all the remaining ingredients until evenly blended.
4. Turn into a 2 ¾ pint ovenproof dish (1.6 litre).
5. Cover and bake at Gas Mark 5, (375 F, 190 C) for 40 minutes.
6. Ten minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the lid to brown the surface.