Lucy – All Saints’ : Vegetarian Chilli
Delicious either served in a wrap with yoghurt or spooned over corn tortilla chips, topped with grated cheese and melted in the oven and served with guacamole and salsa.
Olive or rapeseed oil, for frying 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped A thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped (or 1 teaspn ground ginger) 1 tbsp chilli powder 1 tsp cumin (ground or bashed seeds) 1 tbsp smoked paprika 3 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes 300g green lentils, soaked 200g bulgur wheat, pearl barley or brown rice 1 tbsp cocoa powder 400g tin small beans (haricot, black or black eyed) or 300g home-cooked 1-2 litres veg stock Salt and pepper
1. Put your biggest pot on a medium heat.
2. Add a splash of oil and cook onion, garlic and ginger for 10 mins or until soft and sweet.
3. Add the chilli powder, cumin and smoked paprika. Stir for 1-2 mins.
4. Add all the other ingredients, stirring as you go – but start with 1 litre of the stock and keep the rest to add if the chilli starts to look a bit dry.
5. Bring down to a gentle boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 30-35 mins until the lentils and grains are cooked and the chilli is deep and flavoursome.
6. Season to taste, then serve.