Nicky – All Saints’ Church: An old, well-used recipe.
4oz/110 g chickpeas 12 oz/340g aubergines 12oz/340g potatoes scrubbed 1 tbsp olive oil 1 onion peeled & chopped 2 garlic cloves 14oz/400g can tomatoes pureed 2 tsp oregano dried 1 tsp fresh mint 1-2 tbsp tomato puree Topping: 1 tsp cumin seeds natural yoghurt 1 small egg beaten
1. Drain chickpeas and bring to the boil in fresh water. Boil fast for 10 mins, simmer 35-45 mins.
2. Prick and trim aubergines and bake at 180 C for 20 mins, then slice.
3. Boil potatoes until tender, slice thickly.
4. Gently fry onion for 5-7 mins. Add garlic and cook for 1 min.
5. Add tomatoes, oregano, mint, tomato puree and chickpeas. Cook gently for 10 mins then season.
6. Grease deep dish and fill in layers of aubergine, potato and chickpeas sauce.
7. For the topping:
Roast cumin seeds, mix into yoghurt and add egg. Spoon over moussaka.
Bake in preheated oven, Gas Mark 4 for 25-30 mins.