Lichfield Cathedral have shared this Advent and Christmas Devotional Calendar. It runs from 27th November, the First Sunday of Advent, until Christmas Day itself, 25th December. We think it will help many people to prepare for the coming of Jesus at Christmas.
How to use the Calendar
- This is a simple prayer and bible-reading exercise to help us use the Advent Season as a time of preparation for the coming of Christ.
- Try and set aside 5-15 minutes every day.
- Buy or use a special candle to light each day as you read and pray through the suggestions on the calendar.
- Try and ‘eat simply’ – one day each week try going without so many calories or too much rich food, just have enough.
- Try to donate to a charity working with the homeless or the people of Bethlehem.
- Try to pray through what you see and notice going on around you in people, the media and nature.
Who is the Calendar for?
- For everyone who uses the Cathedral website/social media.
- For all the Cathedral community.
- For people you want to send it to and invite to share in the daily devotional exercise.
What is the last week about?
The last week of Advent is special: at Evensong (evening prayer) a special antiphon is sung or said before and after the canticle of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Magnificat. Each begins with an ‘O’ and relates to some facet of Christ’s nature and ancestry
- December 17 O Sapientia Wisdom
- December 18 O Adonai Lord of Israel
- December 19 O Radix Jesse Root of Jesse (Jesse was the father of King David)
- December 20 O Clavis David Key of David
- December 21 O Oriens Morning Star rising in the East
- December 22 O Rex Gentium King of all nations
- December 23 O Immanuel Immanuel – ‘God is with us’