Bee – All Saints’ Church
This is a great, simple meal which my family enjoy.
For the bulgur wheat: 150g (5½ oz) bulgur wheat 900ml (1½ pints) boiling water 1 tbsp lemon juice 1 tbsp rapeseed oil ¼ tsp salt ¼ tsp ground black pepper
For the skewers: I sweet potato, halved lengthways and cut into 1 cm (½ inch) slices 1 courgette, cut into 5 mm (¼ inch) circles 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges 100g (3½ oz) natural yoghurt 1 tbsp tandoori masala ¼ tsp chilli powder ¼ tsp salt Oil, for brushing
For the dressing: 100g (3½ oz) natural yoghurt ¼ tsp ground cumin A pinch of salt
1. Put the bulgur wheat into a heatproof bowl and cover with the boiling water. Leave to soak for 20 minutes, then drain well.
2. Wipe out the bowl and return the bulgur to it. Add the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
3. To prepare the kebabs, par-cook the sliced sweet potato in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes only. Rinse and drain.
4. Put the courgette and onion into a large bowl and add the sweet potato slices. In a small bowl, mix the yoghurt, tandoori masala, chilli powder and salt together and pour this all over the veg. Stir to make sure the veg are well covered with the marinade.
5. Preheat your barbecue or grill. Take the skewers and thread the veg onto them. Brush a little oil over the top. When the barbecue or grill is hot, cook for 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden.
6. In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients. Spread the bulgur wheat on a serving platter, lay the skewers on top and drizzle over the dressing to serve. Best eaten immediately!